I wrote this letter to my daughter who turned 7 this year
Today you are 7 years old. A big milestone!
And what a fine young lady you are turning out to be. Smart, hard working, curious to know new things, obedient and playful. All the traits that a 7 year old should have.
Papa and Mamma love you and are working really hard to get the best for you and your little sister. While Mamma goes to office, Papa is starting a company and when you start a company, you need to give it all your attention. Yes, I am talking about your favourite website: TheWhizTimes.com. Perhaps you don’t realize, but you were the main reason this site was formed- and now it will enrich many other children of your age and beyond.
Adya, at different stages of our lives, we need a set of beliefs and principles that help us make a better person. With my experience in life, here are 6 principles that I think you should know at 7.
- Be Self-dependent: If there is one thing Papa has learnt through his lifetime- is that you have to help yourself. Do not wait for someone to come and help you. Your hands are after all YOUR hands. So use what you HAVE and what you CAN, first.
- Be Aware: Awareness is knowing what’s happening around you. You will be aware if you have ‘knowledge’. Knowledge comes from reading, watching and listening to a variety of things. When you grow up, knowledge will have more value than gold. So start being aware of what is happening in the world around you.
- Be Money wise: You know that you need money to buy books, candies, dolls, iPAD and all other things. Apart from these, you also need money for medicines, staying in a house, for school and college. Papa and Mamma love you and try will get the best possible, but it is important to understand the value of money early on. That way, you will make smarter decisions when you grow up. In 10-11 years time, you will start going to college, and your fees could easily be more than $200,000! The knowledge of How is money earned, how it should be saved and how it should be spent will go a long way in being self sufficient.
- Have Friends: A human being is a social animal. That does not mean everyone is a monkey like you, but what that means is that, in life, you need to deal with different types of people all the time. So you need to understand how different people behave and work. It is a lot of fun (like so many are coming for your birthday party) and you can also count on them in times of need. Just remember though- be friends with everyone, but only have a few good friends.
- You know ABC, now understand ABL (Always Be Learning): There are many things for you to learn. Apart from being good in studies, you can be an Olympics star or you can be a Piano Whiz Kid, or master a language. Try your hand at these things and start thinking “Which things do I like the most?” Once you understand, go for it with full attention. A good teacher and good practice is all it needs after you find what you know what you want.
- Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.
Always keep smiling.